Friday 27 March 2009

United Nations MDG Award


On March 17th 2009, the world’s attention was focused on the United Nations as they paid tribute to individuals, organisations and nations working to implement the Millennium Development Goals (MDG). This prestigious award ceremony was held at the General Assembly hall of the United Nations headquarters in New York.


I was invited to this event by a friend. It was an unexpected opportunity - so I flew to America.

My first impression of the organisation of the event was bewildering. I was told security would be tight and needed to bring along several IDs. Furthermore, I was told that my partner Anthony was no longer on the gusts list prior to the event. After contacting a few people I know, only I got in. I felt it was appropriate to be dressed in a suit, in case I had the chance to meet a few UN diplomats. The place was heaving with UN officials, their name badges dandling around their necks.

The ceremony itself started late, but once it began, it was great. The concert had an array of musical talents and big names. Guests and celebrities included, Simply Red’s Mick Hucknall, Julian Lennon, Macy Gray and Sol Guy. Speeches were presented by Ambassador of Qatar, Nassir Abdulaziz al-Nasser, President of the General Assembly, Rev. Miguel d’Escoto Brockmann, and Executive Director of the UN Office for Partnership, Amir Dossal, who I had the pleasure of meeting again as well as his assistant, whom I’ve had contact with.

Awards were given to individuals who had enhanced the implementation and action of the MDG. The effectiveness of the MDG is incredibly important to decrease poverty, gender inequality, child mortality, diseases, gap between north and south and supporting the world’s poorest and vulnerable people to name a few.

Special awards were presented to Dr. Kevin Cahill, who received the Lifetime Award for Humanitarian Achievement, and to Archbishop Desmond Tutu, accepting the MDG Lifetime Achievement Award. Desmond Tutu’s speech was very colourful, which had the crowd applausing loudly.

Macy Gray performed “I Try” , getting the crowd to get up and dance in celebration. It was great to meet people working for the UN. My neighbour Maho was exceptionally nice. I got inside feedback about what it was like to work in the UN from people who actually worked there. It was also nice to be greeted by Amir Dossal since first meeting him in London.

The highlights of the MDG Awards Inaugural Awards can be viewed by clicking on this link:
http://iclips.net/mdg_awards_plist.html

No comments: