Sunday 11 October 2009

Ditch the plastic cup...

I am an avid fan of the Java Chip Frappuccino, returning to Starbucks at least 3-4 times a week. With my political work in civil society, I am increasingly aware that I am one individual who is not ‘doing my bit’ for the environment. While volunteering at the office of “Friends of the Earth”, I was impressed with how little rubbish is thrown out; ignoring the plastic cups I used accumulating in the recycling bin.

Recently, I had purchased a self-design tumbler from Starbucks to encourage the ‘re-use’ philosophy. I asked the clerk to put the Java Chip in the tumbler and I was amazed with the reaction, as if I had asked the clerk to lick my arm. When I returned to the same store a second, a third and a fourth time that week, I received the same look, while receiving comments on how amazing my tumbler looked. I had customised it with my Street Fighter character, Ryu, my unusual inspiration. Passers-by would stop to ask where I had bought my tumbler and what a good idea it was once lecturing them on the gravity of climate change.

I take a strong stance in wanting coffee houses to discard plastic cups, especially when there are no facilities to recycle them. I am even more determined in making these unique tumblers fashionable and an environmental trend setter, which inadvertently will make individuals aware of how every action has a consequence. Above is a photo of me with my unique tumbler, and I hope I can encourage others to be as creative as I am trying be.

3 comments:

Manuel Lara Bisch said...

Actually, I prefer the double-walled ceramic "Not a Paper Cup" myself (though originally UK-designed, I first found it on ThinkGeek, an online shop based in the US).
I've become a great fan of reusable kitchenware made from silicone, which is very easy to clean, after discovering that this is what its lid consists of. I'm planning to get the squishy bowl set, which they also sell, the next time I shop at ThinkGeek.

My cup may not be quite as customisable as your Starbucks tumbler, but at least it doesn't get the barrista's eyes falling out of his head and into my coffee every time I use it in a different coffeeshop. ;)

Talyn Rahman-Figueroa said...

"ThinkGeek"...hmm sounds like a very fitting store for you. I'm going to check it out and see what weird and wonderful stuff I can find. Re-usable items are fine because it's not one use, so I have no complaints with that. It's just very annoying how small-minded people are when it comes to environmental issues in London.

Plastic Mug said...

I like drinking coffee and tea, but never think how much I create paper cups garbages from coffee shop. After reading your story, I'd better use my personal mug to contain coffee or tea.