Monday 3 May 2010

Summer Fundraising



I am half way through my diplomatic training at the Diplomatic Academy of London with a huge 4 months gap before beginning semester II. The plans for summer are in fact quite busy with projects and activities in the pipeline. However, in order to represent my country and continue with my diplomacy training, I am seeking for funds to support my work. By the end of June, I aim to raise a total of £5000. Here is a short outline to where the money will go and how you will be supporting me. Please help me reach my target, and support this work. Every project will be covered by this website.
GRASSROOT DIPLOMAT
OUTLINE: Grassroot Diplomat acts as a broadcast media platform to bridge the gap between politicians and people under the age of 30. This age group is heavily underrepresented by the media, and very often, their views are ignored by politicians. The project seeks to highlight positive aspects of every nation through the eyes of young people. Grassroot Diplomat is cost effective, relying on people across the world to send footage about their local community. Documentaries will be edited in the London HQ, then uploaded online and sent to local TV stations for wider coverage.
FUNDS: £1000 to set-up a comprehensive website where documentaries can be accessed in areas with low bandwidth internet.
MOROCCO EXCHANGE
OUTLINE: As part of my Masters programme, the Diplomatic Academy of London has organised an exchange programme with the Al Akhawayn University in Morocco. This exchange will further my studies as an opportunity to learn Arabic, international relations from the perspective of an African nation, engage in global discussions, and train us as diplomats to protect and serve the interest of our own nation.
FUNDS: £1000 towards flights and meals.
UNITED NATIONS SUMMER PROGAMME
OUTLINE: Students studying diplomacy or international relations are confirmed places based on merit. This course will allow students to attend official sessions at the United Nations headquarters in New York, and participate at workshops from distinguished practitioners in the field of multilateral diplomacy. The program is structured around a series of seminars led by U.N. officials and representatives of governments and civil society on a wide range of global issues currently on the U.N. agenda.
FUNDING: £2000 towards course fee, return flights, and course materials.
SINGAPORE CONFERENCE
OUTLINE: I have been invited to represent my university and country at the Global Scholars and Leaders Conference in Singapore. Admissions to the conference are merit based, and upon completion of the conference, delegates will be recognised for past accomplishment and participation at the GSLC with the Global Young Leaders Award, an award that will distinguish me as a high-achiever.
FUNDING: £1000 towards accommodation and admission fee

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Clare said...

Hey! Are you going for the Global Scholars & Leaders Conference 2011 at London?

Cheers :)
Clare Johnson

Talyn Rahman-Figueroa said...

I was unaware that the conference was held in London this year, so thank you for bringing this to my attention. I was unable to attend in Singapore last year due to conflicting priorities with my diplomatic training. Good luck with the application.