Tuesday 15 December 2009

Security tightened at the Bella Centre


Copenhagen, Tuesday 15 December

I woke up at 6am this morning knowing how much of a struggle it would be to enter the Bella Centre. Over the weekend, word went out that NGOs will be restricted and only those with special “observer status” passes would be through. Unfortunately, only 40% of NGO participants will have access in the remaining days of COP15, however I was lucky to get my hands on one, thanks to my executive member status in an international women’s organisation.

The queue for entrance at the Bella Centre was divided into 3 lines: NGO with badges, Press and Party, No . With a badge and pass, I was waiting approximately 40 minutes out in zero degree weather until I was finally let in. I sympathise with those with no badge at all. Some have been waiting since 6am and it seems that they will be waiting until all NGO, Party and Press with passes are through. The queue for no accreditation was the longest I have seen and I can imagine the line will only get longer. The Bella Centre is incredibly quiet, and side events rooms are almost vacant even with talks resuming this current moment.


No comments: